Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy First Birthday Brayden

"Time flies" never rang so true for me. His first birthday came too soon. It actually crept up behind me. I realized that I kept on answering "Oh he's eleven months old " when really he was about to turn one. I made him a cake for his actual birthday which was yesterday. It was a simple vanilla cake and whipped frosting. He really had no idea what was going on. I put his party hat on and Nathan, my mother and I started singing "Happy Birthday."



















































He kept looking at us with a blank stare as we sang. He then stuck his finger into the icing and gave it a taste. Apparently he liked it because 5 minutes later when he got his slice of cake he rammed a huge piece of it in his mouth. All I kept on thinking was, "Oh my God he's going to choke." I also thought "Eek, that blue icing is going to stain everything!" But then I said, what the heck it's his birthday for crying out loud. It actually felt good to let go of that one.
I got to finish his scrapbook last night just in time to bring it to his party today. His party had a frog theme to it and I invited family and close friends. It turned out to be a really beautiful day and some of the kids including Brayden got to enjoy the pool that Papa had worked so hard at cleaning. The sun was out and it was hot. We had the grill going and life was good. My good friend Laurie made the Birthday Cake. She went off the invitations and really did an excellent job baking a 2 layer cake. One layer was a chocolate cake and the other was a healthier vanilla pumpkin cake for the kiddos. It was amazingly moist and deeeelicious! Here's a picture of it:


















Auntie Sarah took most of the pictures for me so I'll post more when I get them. He received some really great toys which made me happy because he's been playing with his "baby" toys for a while now and it was time to refresh his toy box.
Being Brayden's mother has really been such a blessing. As I reflect over the past year I see just how much he has made me a better person. I've had some hard times and yet he always managed to put a smile on my face and help keep my heart soft. Every morning although tired, I look forward to opening his bedroom door and finding him standing up in his crib ready to greet me. He's my buddy and I really cherish this time that I get to spend alone with him before baby girl arrives. Brayden has grown leaps and bounds in words he understands and now says. He's already taken some steps and is sooo close to officially walking.

No comments: